Part of playing sports and being a respected teammate is the ability to lead others toward a shared goal – To Win. I was fortunate to attend a Leadership presentation by Pirates President Frank Coonelly and speak with him on the topic of Leadership. The Leadership qualities Mr. Coonelly uses to run his organization, I find, also applies to youth athletes & players of all ages to help create an atmosphere and philosophy of positive, goal-driven, results-based actions.
Leadership Qualities (no particular order)
- Let your team/employees know that you genuinely care and love them.
- Be accountable. Have the courage to acknowledge when you’re wrong.
- Make the hard/difficult decisions and stand by them.
- Communicate consistently and effectively with your team.
- Have a sense of humor, and don’t be afraid to show your “lighter side”.